Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Taking Time for Me

The last couple weeks I have been completely consumed, wrapped up and busy with school. I'm sure I've mentioned before but I'm taking 3 classes this semester. Two of which are online and the Third meets twice a month on Saturday's for 8 hours. The work load of the assignments in themselves have been a handful. Lets not forgetting the actual reading, learning and remembering part of it. Often I would find myself simply trying to complete the assignments on time that I wouldn't even take much from the lesson / module for the week. That's not the way it should be. This is the first time I've taken three classes at once, but I can almost guarantee that it'll be the last time. On top of working full time, its just a lot to take on.
I spend my lunch breaks working on homework here at work, typing up assignments, doing research to complete a paper. I haven't really been taking my lunch break to have a break and step away. Most day's I come to work between 7:15 and 7:30 and I don't leave the building that day until I am going home. Many nights as late as 5:30pm.
I've decided to put a stop to it, well a little at least. I need to take time for me, I need to get out of the building, I need to get fresh air, I need to put the computer down and walk away from my school work every once in a while. Classes end the first of May and won't pick back up till the mid August but we've got some things going on right now and I know life isn't going to slow down.
I've decided to make more time for me. I need to, it'll be good for my soul and those around me. But mostly for me.
Last week on my lunch break I went up to Dunbarcave. It's a local park less than half a mile from were I work. There's picnic tables, walking / running trails, a cave to explore and much more. I was planning on just walking the long loop but something sparked me when I was leaving on my lunch and I decided to run it. Boy was it ruff but I felt great afterwards. Nothing like a good trail run to get your heart pumping and your blood flowing.
Yesterday I decided to grab a sandwich from Jimmy John's and go to Dunbarcave for lunch. It was such a beautiful day out. The sun was shinning, the temperature was perfect. It was so peaceful and quite just to be outside away from work and the hustle of life. I'm pretty sure it made my sandwich taste even better because it left me wanting more.
I've defiantly decided that I will be doing this more often. I'm planning on taking one day a week and getting out of the building and going to do something for me. Even if it is just up to Dunbarcave to have lunch by myself. It's well worth it. The school work will be there the next day and so will everything else. I need this, I need this for me. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good for you, girl! It's so hard for me to take time for myself but I always feel better when I do. Yesterday I got my nails done. I almost didn't because I'm so thrifty but it made me feel so good. What you need is a lunch date with me and AB!